Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Evan+Yukon=Trouble

What does the cute little guy in this picture.....

have to do with the SUV in this picture??? The cute little guy decided to take it for a drive the other day, right into the neighbors yard. Yep, you read that right. A couple of days ago, I decided to go vacuum my car around 8:30 in the morning. I didn't tell the kids because they were all playing so well together, I thought I could get away with just sneaking out. So I grabbed my keys and the vacuum, and out I went.
I remember I just set my keys on the front seat. I finished vacuuming the 3rd row, and climbed out, only to catch a glance of Evan sitting in the drivers seat. As I turned off the vacuum, I heard the radio on and realized he had put my keys into the ignition (but hadn't actually started the car, just turned the key enough to turn on the radio). The next thing I knew he had managed to put my car in reverse, and down the driveway it went. Seriously. My car, down the driveway with Evan in the drivers seat. This would be where I completely started to panic! I guess I should also point out that our driveway is on an incline. That means it was gaining some serious speed as it passed my by. I started screaming, as I was frantically trying to figure out how to stop my car from crashing into the house across the street. I caught up to my car as it was about half way across the street, grabbed the handle to open the door and jumped into the passenger side. I knew I would never be able to reach the brake in time, so I reached over and threw the car into park. My car made a terrible sound, but we had stopped, thankfully. We were halfway up the neighbors yard, with several feet to spare before we hit his house.
I put the car in drive, and drove it back across the street. Evan realized he was in some serious trouble as he climbed out of the car with his eyes covered saying "are you mad at me"? I don't think I stopped shaking for at least 20 minutes. I went to the neighbors house and smoothed out my tire marks in his desert landscaping, and took my car for a drive. It's fine, thankfully no permanent damage.
I love my little Evan, but he is giving us a run for our money every single day. The tough thing is, he will be in so much trouble, and then give us this sweet little smile that just melts your heart. This time the smile didn't go over so well. However, we survived another day, and he officially made it to his 3rd birthday.

8 comments:

Amber and Co. said...

Holy Cow! That sounds so scary! I'm glad he is okay! And way to go with managing to get into the car and putting in park. I don't know how you managed that!

Tyler Jorgenson said...

Wow! So glad that it turned out ok.

Ingrid said...

It makes my heart stop hearing the story again. Quick thinking on your part. That little guy is adorable, but I agree he is going to give you a run for your money.

Jori said...

I am so glad everything turned out okay. Good thing you have super speed, must be all that jogging.:)

Blake and Cheryl said...

Evan sounds like he might be a "Tyson junior". When he was younger I was sure I would not raise that kid to adulthood! He is 16 now and still alive!

sarah donaldson said...

wow, That is crazy! I'm glad no one got hurt. He is just to darn cute!

Johnson Family said...

Evan sure keeps you on your feet. So glad all turned out well. Good luck with his next adventure!

Faith said...

Oh my. I was laughing so hard when I was reading this. Evan is histarical and scary! That boy has no fear. Hopefully, he'll put that to good use someday. And remember, this will be a really funny story someday!