Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Hopefully the last surgery for me!

When I had Evan, the c-section took 2.5 hours. There was so much damage to my muscles that needed to be repaired, along with a ton of scar tissue that needed to be taken care of. The pain afterward was awful. Then, when I got pregnant with Kendal (just a few months later) everything was ok, until the last few months of my pregnancy. Then I started to get really crampy, constantly. When I went in to have her, and they put me on the monitor, I had a very irriatable uterus. It was just really really crampy.
Ever since she was born I have always had a dull, cramping pain. I've learned to just ignore it for the most part, and got used to it- until recently. Running the half marathon in January, and again in April, made me realize how bad it really was. After the race in April, the cramping was really bad and lasted for 3 or 4 days. So I finally went to see my OB. He said he has always wondered how I would do, after how bad my c-section was with Evan, it was one of the worst he has ever seen! He did an exam, and my uterus a so tender I almost hit the ceiling because the pain was so bad. He then did an ultrasound, and my uterus was enlarged 3 times it's normal size... It was time to get it out- soon!
I was ok with it. I knew we weren't going to have any more kids, so I didn't have any issues with that. I couldn't wait. Now that I was aware of everything, the cramping was driving me crazy! Strange how I learned to live with it, but once I knew what was really going on, I couldn't wait to get rid of the pain and cramping.
I went in for surgery on June 18th. When I woke up, I still had a catheter in, and the doctor told me the scar tissue was so bad, it had adhered my uterus to my bladder. He had to cut my bladder in order to get my uterus out...ugh. I knew this meant the catheter would be with me for a while. The surgery itself went fine. It was done laprascopically with a robot that the doctor controlled. They went in through my belly button, and then I have two tiny incisions on each side of my abdomen. I wont really have any scars, you can barely see them now. I spent one night in the hospital and came home (with the awful catheter).
I was supposed to rest and take it easy, but that hasn't really happened, so I have been much more sore than I think I should be. But, this is 6 weeks I get to spend with my kids that I don't have to work, so I'm not going to miss a minute of it! The catheter came out after 6 days (should have been 7, but I just couldn't do it for one more day, and pulled it myself- since the doctor told me I could when it was time). I have never been soooo happy to pee on my own before Lol!
Now I am almost 4 weeks out and doing good. I still get a little sore, but my biggest problem is how easily exhausted I get. Yesterday, I fell asleep at Haylee's gymnastics practice, twice! Hopefully my energy comes back soon! But, never having a period again (or the cramping pain) makes this whole ordeal worth it:)

No comments: