Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Goodbye Smokie

On Saturday, we said goodbye to our Smokie. We have had her since a few weeks after we were married, 10 years ago. She was diagnosed with cancer several years ago, which she had surgery for, but it couldn't be completely cleared from her body. She had done well, until the last few months. She tore a ligament in her knee, and had some thyroid problems. She has just been getting worse, and last week, she was just miserable.
We realized it was time. Bryce's dad flew in from Utah to be with us, he loved Smokie as much as we did. We called her vet, and he agreed to come to our house to do it. He came, and shared some tears with us, and then peacefully put her to sleep. It was an incredible experience to be able to have all of us laying with her on her bed when she passed.
We took her to the new house, and buried her there. The kids drew pictures for her, and put them with her. We then planted a plant near her. It is in the last picture with Bryce and I, but it's kind of hard to see near our feet (I am in my scrubs because I went to work that night). It is now known as Smokie's plant, and the kids think it's fun that they still get to give Smokie water.
We all miss her very much, but she is much happier now that she is free from her old crippled body.

























8 comments:

Tanya said...

That is so sad. I like the tree idea.

Tyler Jorgenson said...

That's so sad. I'm glad you can still give Smokey water and see the plant grow big and strong.

http://jorgstyle.blogspot.com

QnA Drapers said...

My kids were sad to hear about smokie too. You guys are a great fam to make a special day out of it. Hang in there!

Jer & Di said...

Staci Sue, You know I am not a huge dog-fan, but I cannot imagine having a pet to love for so long and having to say good by. Your blog brought tears to my eyes, thanks for sharing the tribute and story.

Amber and Co. said...

sorry that smokie passed away. I love that you put a plant where you buried him and that it's "smokie's plant". I hope your kids are doing good.

Faith said...

So sorry about Smokie. Losing a pet who's been with you a long time is really hard. And a hard reality for kids to face. Hang in there. Hope everything is going well with the house. Call us when you're ready to get together,or you just need a night away from the house stuff!
Love,
The Haughs

Jenkins Family said...

My heart is sad for your loss of Smokey. It brought tears to my eyes and I am not much of a pet person. The way you loved Smokey it shows what a wonderful family you are. I love you all.

Jenkins Family said...

So sorry to hear about your loss of Smokey. Hard to let go of something you loved so much. You have such a great family and should be proud. We love you all.